Being one of the trusted funeral directors in Sydney is an aspiration for some individuals. If you are one of those who want to make a career in the funeral industry, you need to meet certain requirements. Aside from having the right qualifications, you should also have the compassion especially in dealing with grieving families. To become a successful funeral director, you need to meet the following qualifications.
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- State license
- Associate degree in funeral service education. There are states that require a bachelor’s degree to be qualified for the job.
- One or two years apprenticeship in a licensed funeral home
- State license examination or national board examination
Main tasks and functions
- Talk to the family for the final arrangement.
- Ensure that the last wishes of the departed and the family will be enacted during the ceremony and after the internment.
- Organize and prepare a ceremony to celebrate the life and memory of the deceased.
- Prepare the body for viewing. Make the deceased appear dignified during the viewing and ceremony.
- Consult the family for the ceremony and viewing arrangements. The funeral director should consult the family for certain wishes or requests.
The process of becoming a funeral director
One of the first few steps that you need to do to become one thefuneral directors in Sydney is to talk with your local funeral director and express your intent for the profession. The funeral director will tell you what you need to do especially in terms of internship. You need to comply certain standards and meet educational requirement for the job.
Another option is to call the funeral association in your area for more information on how you can become a licensed funeral service provider. Find out what you need to in order to meet the requirements.
Lastly, to ensure that you will have a career in the industry, you have to enrol in a mortuary science program to become one of those funeral directors in Sydney who are licensed to perform the job. Ask for a copy of the course prospectus and find out how much is the school fee and other related information.